Saturday, December 18, 2010

Beneath It All EP by Hey Monday

Hey Monday - Beneath It All Pictures, Images and Photos
Beneath It All EP (2010)
01. Wish You Were Here
02. Wondergirl
03. I Don't Wanna Dance
04. Hangover
05. Mr. Pushover
06. Where Is My Head


If you’re a hardcore metal fan, Hey Monday’s new EP, Beneath It All, is the album for you! Just kidding.

Originating from West Palm Beach, Florida, the power pop group has toured with acts such as The Academy Is, We The Kings, NeverShoutNever, The Cab, This Providence, A Rocket To The Moon, and Cash Cash. At the beginning of 2010 (and shortly after the departure of drummer, Elliot James), Hey Monday began recording new tracks for their second release, Beneath It All EP.

The six songs have a poppy and bubbly feel to them, but most of the lyrics are far from upbeat. In “Where Is My Head,” the lines, “today I told myself that I would control myself / but my heart and zipper seem to disagree,” are pretty risque and aren't something you would normally hear in a power pop song. Lead vocalist Cassadee Pope hides the true meanings of the songs with catchy melodies and harmonies, which she does rather tastefully. Other than the lyrics, the EP isn’t terribly original. The first three tracks bleed into each other and the last three also have similar feels to them.

The standout track out of the six is “Hangover," but Beneath It All isn’t anything we haven’t heard before. It's overall a decent but expected release from Hey Monday.


Rating: 3.5/5

Recommended Track: "Hangover"

No comments: